The two new Fuquay Varina Public Schools slated to be located adjacent to the South Lakes neighborhood are progressing along quickly. A recent update shows that both are right on target for their respective estimated opening date. This article will focus on the Willow Springs High School (WSHS) project which is slated for all construction to finish in the next two months. Likewise, the August 2020 projected occupancy date for South Lakes Elementary is still currently right on schedule also. (Both schools will be a part highly regarded Wake County Public School System (WCPSS).
(We will revisit and detail the construction progress of South Lakes Elementary in a future post)
Construction at Newest of Fuquay Varina Public Schools: Willow Springs High School
Located adjacent to the South Lakes new home community, construction at Willow Springs High School is moving along, with an occupancy date set for this August. This will be the first of the two new Fuquay Varina Public Schools to open its doors. Upon it’s August 2019 unveiling, the school will serve as a “swing space” for Fuquay Varina High School (FVHS) while it undergoes renovations. The school’s physical address is 1704 Old Honeycutt Road in Fuquay-Varina.
As stated above, initially, Willow Springs High School will be the temporary home for students and faculty from Fuquay Varina High. The school will operate this way for two years as the FVHS facility undergoes renovations. Since the building process began, the work has moved along quickly to keep the August 2019 competition goal. You can see the steps of progression for Willow Springs High below.
Willow Springs High School Timeline
- April 2017– Balfour Beatty Construction begin site preparation
- July 2017– Pouring of the foundation for WSHS
- August 2017- Raising of the school’s walls and superstructures
- October 2017– Construction is underway and the footprint of WSHS starts to become visible
- March 2018– Roofs go on structure
- April 2018– The on-site football and baseball fields begin taking shape
- May 2018– Brickwork begins
- August 2018– The outside of the facilities at 1704 Old Honeycutt Road start having a more finished look
- September 2018– The entire surrounding campus also begin taking on a more completed look.
Preparing to Open the Doors at WSHS
Since the late fall of 2018 until the present, the construction process has continued and stayed on target in correspondence with its target date of completion for August of 2019. Students and faculty from FVHS will begin to occupy that same month.
To watch a YouTube video posted by Wake County Public Schools showing a chronological rendering following the month by month progress on the construction of Willow Springs High School, click below.
The History of the New Fuquay Varina Public Schools…in our words
To see other articles that we have posted throughout the formative process of the new Fuquay Varina Public Schools, you can follow these links below also.
- South Lakes Elementary to Become Newest of Fuquay Varina Schools in 2020 (Originally posted July 10, 2018)
- Plans Moving Forward on New Schools in Fuquay Varina (Originally posted July 1, 2018)
- Wake County Public Schools to Build Adjacent to South Lakes New Home Community (Originally posted March 10, 2011)
(Photo Credit: Wake County Public School System)